Speed is the most crucial element for running a successful website. Moreover, to give lag-free and responsive user’s experience, fast loading website directly affects the performance of website. As fast loading websites benefit from higher SEO rankings, conversion rates, user engagement, etc. Therefore, speed of website is important not for just good ranking but to maintain high bottom-line profits as well. There are various ways to improve/increase loading speed of website are mentioned below:
Improve Loading Speed of Website From Server Side
Selecting the appropriate hosting for venture is the basic step to start a website. Hosting website with professional configuration can be helpful to speed up Website loading.
- Browser Caching: Users should set expires header as resource on their websites because browser stores all these resources in its cache such as .jpeg images. Expires header tells the browser about the resource on website required to be requested from source or can be fetched from cache of browser. Therefore, when the visitor visits the website again, it will load website faster as the browser already has all images available.
- Enabling the Signal: Keep-Alive signals plays significant role on internet as it sent signals at predefined intervals. Once the signal is sent and if no reply is received then, the link is expected to be down and the data will be routed through another path until the link is up. In fact, HTTP keep-alive permits TCP connection alive and helps in reducing latency for following requests.
- Compressing the Request: HTTP request is made up of every element such as images, scripts, style sheets, flash, etc. As there are more ON-Page components then, it will take more time to render the page. To improve this, users need to increase the speed of site to simplify design by:
- Using CSS in place of images.
- Merging various style sheets into one.
- Reduce scripts and keep them at bottom of page.
Tip: Begin the campaign for reducing the number of components on every page to minimize HTTP request to make the page render and improve website performance.
- Redirect Cache able: Many times, mobile pages redirect the users to diverse URL that making redirect cache able helps to speed up the load time of page for the next time. It can be done by utilizing 302 redirect via cache lifetime of a day. It must include Vary: User-Agent and Cache-Control: private. It helps to redirect the visitors via mobile devices.
- Utilize CDN: CDN (Content Delivery Network) is a collection of web servers that are distributed across various locations to transport the content to users more efficiently. The server chosen for content delivering is based on proximity of network.
- Content Elements: As there is no complete access on server, therefore content elements are essential things that can be manipulated.
- Reduce Redirects: Many times to specify the new location of track clicks, URL, connect various parts of site together or backup multiple domains that are required for redirecting from one URL to other. While keep on redirecting that is technically important but user cannot find any result. There are some recommendations by Google:
- Never refer URLs on your page, which is redirecting to other URLs.
- Do not have more than one redirect to the particular resource.
- Reduce number of additional domains, which creates an issue in redirecting but not the server content actually.
- Eliminate Query Strings: Users cannot cache link with a ‘?’ in its URL even if there is a cache control: public header. It acts as Ctrl+F5. It should be utilized for dynamic resources only. Utilizing two dynamic URLs with a question mark due to utilization of metrics are reasonable but for two or three queries.
- Specific Set of Characters: For speeding up browser rendering, specify a set of character in HTTP headers. This can be done by adding a simple code into header.
Note: If the user is sure about the character set then, they can use PHP function instead as it helps to reduce the size of request. So, utilize HTML in place of PHP everywhere is possible.
- Minimize Code: Decrease the size of page and network as well as speed up time of loading by removing HTML comments, white space, empty elements, and CDATA section. Users can utilize online tools to optimize and compress codes and can save user’s time.
- Avoid Irrelevant Request: If the links are broken then it results in occurrence of 404 or 401 error code. Users can fix the broken links specially images to remove the occurrence of an error and speedup the website.
- Server Resource: The resources that are shared across various pages, users must be sure that every reference to same resource utilizes identical URL. If there are resources that are shared via various sites, which link each other but these are hosted on various domains. Then it is better to use single hostname to serve file then to re-serve it via host name of every parent document.
- Minimize DNS Lookups: DNS lookups take an important time to look the IP address for hostname. Until the lookup is completed, browser cannot perform anything. Response time can be increased by reducing number of unique hostnames.
Note: Put all images, which are loading each page of your site as it helps to minimize DNS lookups.
Reduce Loading Time of Website By Optimizing Images
Users are required to focus on three things with images- format, src attribute, and format.
- Image Size: Images that are oversized, website takes long time to load. That is why it is recommended to utilize as small images as possible. Users can utilize image-editing tool to crop the image size. Along with it, minimize the color depth to the lowest level of acceptance and remove comments from images.
- Image Format: Users should utilize JPEG image format for their websites. PNG file format is also good to utilize but older browser does not support it completely. GIF file format should be utilized for simple graphics and animated images. It is recommended not to utilize BMPs and TIFFs format for images.
- SRC Attribute: Once the user had received the right format and size of an image, it is recommended to code it in a right way. They should avoid empty src codes of images. In HTML image code should include . When the quotation is empty as there is no source then, the browser will request to directory of the page itself. It can lead to add unnecessary traffic to server and can even corrupt the data of user.
Tip: User must add src attributes with the valid URL and take proper time to resize the images.
Add CSS and JS: Setting the style sheet at the document head of page, i.e. CSS excludes the progressive rendering so that the browser will block rendering in a manner to avoid redrawing of elements of page. In many cases, users generally face white page until it is completely loaded. It helps to make the page according to W3 standards and adding the JS (Java Scripts) at the bottom of page for the similar reason.
Tip: To speed up the website do not forget to share your question and tips via commenting and do not forget to take the backup before making any changes.
Additional Tool Provided By Google to Check the Website Loading Time
In order to increase load time of website users can cross-examine by Google tool. It helps to provide the relevant result for users. There are two mainly two tools that are discussed below:
- Google PageSpeed Insights: It results the speed for both desktop as well as mobile site. It fetches the URL twice- one from desktop and another from mobile agent. Later it results a site rank, which is based on 1 to 100 on a scale. The site with the higher number is better optimized for speed. If the score is 88 or higher then, it means speed of site is well performing. There is also availability of chrome extension that allows the assessment of any page from Developers PageSpeed Tab. It gives a balanced overview of site’s speed and action to take in a way to improve the performance of page and site as well.
- GT Metrix: It goes into the extensive details and results in full history of site’s page load times. It provides various monitoring tools such as video playback feature, various reporting options as well. It also permits users to export the complete history to CSV file.
It is useful to manage data properly. Moreover, it effects the ranking of website that results in good traffic and page view on Google.
Slow loading of sites are the most annoying thing for both businesses as well as for consumers. That results in losing the traffic of website and returning customers. To overcome from such a situation various ways to speed up your website and cross-examine by Google tool are described, which results in good rank as well as traffic on one’s website.